KL-Bandung




Yippe!!!....

Alhamdulillah, we made it to Bandung. Thanks to Air Asia even though with the delay. =P

Touch down at Bandara Hussein Sastranegara at 930pm WIB (17th September). The airport was surprisingly small. Even smaller then Sibu's. Thank God that we passed the custom easily. Check in at Mutiara Hotel that I booked earlier through Agoda. Quite a good price and comfortable stay.

The top reason why my parents and I went to Bandung was because of my mom. Ibu desperately wanted a new wedding gown next month for her clients. But why Bandung? She said the wedding gowns are cheaper in Bandung. Is it true?

My impressions: It was how I imagined, like those in the sinetron or Indonesian drama on TV.

The traffic was HORRIBLE. Fast cars and motorcycles were everywhere!! People honking and driving like mad with no proper functioning traffic light (most of the traffic light showed yellow light all the times). I don't think I can survive driving in Bandung. But despite very bad traffic and on road menace, I couldn't help to notice that not many cars have dents or scratches from it. There are very skillful drivers in that way I guess.

The Traffic!


We were introduced to "Angkutan Kota" or Angkut, the most popular, cheaper but scary with very questionable safety features. It usually cost Rupiah 2000 (approximately RM 0.60) to reach to one destination. Good experience but not something I want to ride on routinely. Let's walk. Anyway, they do have bus and taxi though.

Angkutan Kota. Look at the door, do you think it is safe if its left open like this?

When you are at the traffic light (the one that apparently functioning well), there will be this group of people who will entertain you by either playing guitar, sing a song, put on a funny act by wearing a weird mask or even clean your side mirror. Most of them are children unfortunately. They will not leave until you give them some money. Positive thinking: it is a good way to keep you entertain at a very bad traffic jam. If you are stuck in one. But at one point, it annoys me much. And how can they allow those unfortunate children to hang around the street begging for money where they should be in school instead. There was a time when we met a child, age around 7-9years old, with a huge stone mortar around to sell it. My parents and I were on a taxi. I couldn't get my wallet out and instead I took out whatever I have in my pocket at that time. It was probably about Rupiah 1000 more or less. That was the only amount of money I could give to the mortar kid before we drove off. Ibu scolded me for giving that little and kept on regretting it until we reached our hotel. It was too sudden and I was intended to give more but we left so soon. Sorry kiddo. I tried to imagine my beloved nieces and nephews in their position. Oh my, how could they? It was so sad.

One of those unfortunate child begging for money by playing Ukelele
=(


But it annoyed me to see those young man who live their life by just basking around. Get a proper job please!. My kind-hearted mom gave those baskers few rupiah. If it was me, I don't give a damn. Unless you have a very amazing voice and talent. But then, if you do have talent, wouldn't it be better to go for an audition? Success won't come without hard work OK.

Cleanliness? Moderate but part of the area (especially the wet market area) are worst!

Food. I am so bless to be born as Malaysian and to live in Malaysia where we have a huge variety of food from all different races and even from Western. There is no problem in finding Halal food in Malaysia and it is easy to know its Halal status and thanks to Jakim for that. We do love the Nasi Padang, or Bakso. But comparatively to Malaysia, we have a better variety of food. In Bandung, you can find mostly Nasi Padang, Nasi Amperal, Bakso and what not. Not all of them are necessarily to be halal. I am not a huge fan of Nasi Padang or Nasi Minang. Like I said, nothing can beat our Nasi Lemak! The food are not necessarily to be cheaper except if you try those from the street stalls.
Teh Botol. Quite famous there. It tasted like a regular tea anyway.


The people are surprisingly friendly and polite. They are very helpful in guiding ways. Not that hard to converse with them. Babah had spent lots of time chit chatting with taxi drivers and Angkut drivers. But still, I personally don't think I will be brave enough to walk alone at night like I use to do in Kuching. Maybe because there are quite a number of motorcyclist on the road where snatch thieves can put on their act anytime there want. What? They can right? But I believe Bandung is relatively a safe country unless you are unlucky. =P



The next day we headed to Pasar Baru Trade Center, which later to be Ibu's favorite place.
Honestly, nothing special about this place. It resembles Pasar Payang in Terengganu. It sells cheaper Tshirts, Batik Sarongs, Telekong, and blouses. Are they really cheaper? For me, I don't think so. For someone like me who only shops at pasar malam, or Giant or downtown, who wears RM10 Tshirt with unbranded jeans, I don't think this place sells things with lower price as claimed. However, it is applicable for Ibu's stuff like the Malaysian wedding gown with heavy laces and colorful shiny beads. We had them almost half price. Ibu was like crazy and wish to have the whole shop for herself. I made the right decision to tag along. I wonder what would happened to poor Babah if Ibu was out of control. Hehe.
Pasar Baru Trade Centre. Ibu's favourite place.



We spent almost the whole day there. We stopped after we were all too tired to think and too tired to shop with all these shopkeepers kept persuading us to spend more money. Hence we decided to get out from that building, put our shopping mission on hold and planned to continue the next day. We went to more exclusive shopping complex called Paris Van Java. I was wondering why they called it Paris. Oooh, maybe because of the shop designs with fake window on it. Hmmm...Paris much ha. But I couldn't tell whether the price is cheaper because like I said, I am not into things with famous brand so I couldn't tell whether a plain Tshirt in Mark and Spencer is cheaper compared to the one in KL. Because I never been into one. So, we just strolling around the building, had our lunch and took some pictures.


Paris Van Java. I never been to Paris so is this how Paris look like?





Next, we went to another shopping complex called Bandung SuperMall. The reason was to check out the latest attraction in Bandung called TransStudio. It was more or less like Berjaya Time Square Amusement Park. I mean amusement park in a shopping complex. We didn't go in but just took pictures at the entrance. It has quite an enormous roller coaster and theater and some others normal stuffs an amusement park should have. (Sense the tone, I was not that excited about it anyway). It was already too late and none of us were to thrill to find out what they offered. Probably because we were too literally physically and mentally exhausted from those bargaining and shopping at Pasar Baru or we were too mature to have this kind of entertainment anyway.
Entrance to Transtudio Amusement Park. How come there is Eiffel Tower in here?



Initial plan to go to Tangkuban Perahu was canceled because we were not done shopping. Day 2 of shopping since we know how the bargaining works, it when smoothly this time. Ibu had all the things she wanted or should have more. I have bought the things as some requested. We even bought cloths for our Raya next year. Theme army green. We shopped until we almost dropped. Few things that amused me in Pasar Baru. You will noticed that there are few people will pull a box of cold drinks to sell. It kinda annoying sometimes especially when you are in the middle of conversation and bargaining with the shopkeepers and the guy keep on asking you to buy the drinks. There was time when we were busy arguing with a shopkeeper for a lower price and when we were about to leave the place, suddenly we were called by someone from behind.
"Eh, Pak, ketinggalan airnya Pak!"
and when we turned around, it was one of the guy who sells the box of cold drinks. With cheeky smile, the guy said, " Di sini air nya Pak. beli saja satu Pak".
Nice try mister. I smiled.

And I had been interviewed by the national TV? Oh my!!
Suddenly I was approached by a lady from i-forgot-the-station-named-like-i-give-a-damn TV and was asked about why I shopped in Pasar Baru. The real story was like this. Initially, it was my mom who had been approached by them but my cunning mom, acted like she didn't know anything, point them to me. Initially a guard came to me asking we whether I am Malaysian. I was so surprised as why suddenly he asked me where I from? Is there any problem with custom? but then came this lady from da-di-da-da TV asked me for permission to be interviewed. I was reluctant initially but somehow I gave in. (my parents were partly be blamed for this). She asked me why I came to Bandung to shop. With a bit of lie, of course I said the prices are cheaper and there are variety of choices but the truth is, like I said, I don't think so. But I thought TV never tells the real story so what the hell. Am I going to be famous?...Wohoo.. Hope my boss doesn't watch Indonesian TV. She would be like, "OH!!!!...Wani, you were in Bandung ha!!!!". Lalalala.


We checked in to a new hotel. Jelita Parahyangan. It was a cheaper but comfortable hotel but I do love it apart from its breakfast. The location was just nice, it was kind of good place where I can stalk people from our balcony. That was what we did early in the morning. To see how the Bandung people start their day. Another thing that we like about the hotel was that it has no shower but it has "kolah" (small water tank). It definitely brings back those good old memories when we used to have that at our old house.


We thought we can have a very good spa before we go back but unfortunately, there was no decent spa nearby our hotel (that was one of the disadvantage of having a small cheap hotel). The good one is quite far from where we stay and it was already too late to go there. So my mom and I were a bit disappointed for not able to have a facial treatment there. At last, we went to one of the reflexology center and had our legs massage. It was the first massage I ever have. It was relaxing, yet painful yet not comfortable.

I don't know how many of you, who traveled will at least visit one of the museum available. As for me, wherever I go especially to a new place, it is a must to visit the museum. Because I think, it gives you the general idea about the place. So, we decided to go to one of the museum available there. We asked for one of the taxi driver's opinion of where is the best place to go to know a bit of history of Bandung. Instead, he brought us to Taman Hutan, about 1/2 hr to 1hour from the city, depending on the traffic. It was a good decision though. At least we know that Bandung is a hilly place. Thanks to Mr Hashim the taxi driver and Herman our tour guide. It is a nice place with nice cool weather. We finally found peace here, away from busy Bandung town. I snapped lots and lots of pictures with my zoom lens. At last, my zoom lens came in handy!! It not only tells us lot of history but walking around the forest proved that all of us need to have more exercise. All of us are NYHA class 3!. Feuh!



We came with one bag but we left with 3 bags full! Luckily I had put some money for emergency because I forgot that we have to pay for airport tax. Fuh!

So goodbye Bandung. Till we meet again. Next time, it should be less shopping and more exploring.

Ibu surely can't wait for the next trip!

Next trip = BEIJING 2012.. Are you ready people????

For more pictures. Here. = Bandung2011

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

crush injury

Bleach Frenzy

just a ride